HUB = Healing, Unifying, and Building
Peace Neighborhood HUB Community Resource Center
On June 21st, Peace took ownership of an 8,000 square foot property on 2.1 acres in Ypsilanti Township—donated by long-time community partner Zion Lutheran Church. Zion’s goal was to transfer ownership to a trusted and experienced organization who can serve and help strengthen the surrounding community—an area of Washtenaw County with prominent racial disparities in income/poverty, educational attainment, economic opportunity, housing and food insecurity.
Peace is currently working with Quinn Evans Architects and Phoenix Contractors to transform the space into a full-service community resource center that can provide residents who live in the Gault, Sugarbrook, and West Willow neighborhoods the same kind of 360° wraparound support that Peace has provided families for over 52+ years.
We know that there is great need in Ypsilanti. Over 70% of the emergency assistance requests Peace receives each year come from Ypsilanti’s two zip codes.
We also know from experience that a successful community center should provide three essential ingredients:
- A trusted, safe, and welcoming place that builds important connections with the surrounding community and people it serves;
- Equitable access to the resources, tools, and opportunities that people need to move forward toward their goals; and
- A portfolio of interconnected programs & services that can provide in-depth, 360° wraparound support to help lift people out of poverty.
A key to Peace’s long-term success in helping people break cycles of poverty, heal, and build better futures has always been to listen to those we serve and to collaborate with community partners.
Over the last 16+ months, Peace has been deeply immersed in an ongoing discovery phase. What we’ve learned has helped guide Peace’s approach to developing the HUB. We have plans to partner with local agencies who already serve Ypsilanti residents and who can bring vital programs & services to the HUB.
As the lead agency, Peace will provide a newly renovated full-service community center—with the organizational systems and infrastructure to help scale partner agencies’ programs & services. Peace will also provide onsite case management Services. Our HUB Agency Partners and community partners will provide the rest. Planned programs and services will likely include:
- Individualized case management to connect residents to vital community resources;
- After-School Youth Programs and Mentorship;
- Access to Workforce Programs and Employment Skills Training;
- Housing Support Services;
- A full-service Food Pantry with greater access to nutritious food;
- Weekly Community Meals;
- Violence Prevention Programming;
- Community Events & Neighborhood Meetings; and
- Community Gardens
- July 2022 – Present: Ongoing Discovery to connect with Ypsilanti residents, elected officials, community leaders, and local agencies to listen & learn.
- Aug, 2023: Interior Demolition & Environmental Remediation
- Sept, 2023 – May, 2024: Renovation / Construction
- Oct, 2023 – June, 2024: Strategic Planning with HUB Agency PartnersOct, 2023 – June, 2024: Community Engagement Community meetings and focus groups to provide updates on HUB and collect feedback and input from neighborhood residents
- Jan – May, 2024: Hire HUB Staff & Training
- June, 2024: Grand Opening / Community Open House
- Summer, 2024: Soft launch of programming, including community meals & events.